Helping The Flat Rock Community For Over 30 Years And Counting
Community Lutheran Church started the ministry of Helping Hands in 1991 when we “adopted” four families for Christmas. Not long after, Pastor Dave gave us a large closet in the Education Wing to use for our storage. By 2004, we had taken the entire Education Wing for our Helping Hands Ministry. In 2010, we provided a wonderful and joyous Christmas for over 120 families, and we currently serve over 500 families totally in the area.
- Emergency food boxes including meat & bread are given out weekly for a 4 week basis, depending on the situation.
- Hygienic products (toothpaste, shampoo, soap, deodorant, toilet paper, diapers, etc.)
- Clothing & shoes (including coats, boots, hats & mittens) for men, women & children.
- Furniture & household items when available.
- Assistance with utility shut-offs & eviction, combining efforts with other help organizations when possible.
- Shopping assistance to 100 children in August for school clothes.
- Holiday food baskets for Christmas (formerly Thanksgiving also).
- Christmas assistance for families; Santa’s Toy Shop, for parents, stockings, candy, gifts, food & parent gift bag.
- Referrals to other help agencies, i.e., Pregnancy Crisis Center, WIC.
- Baby items, i.e., strollers, high chairs, car seats, play pens & cribs.
- Sponsorship of the nursery at Downriver High School, so teenage girls with children can continue their education.
- Working women’s clothing for those re-entering the workforce.
- Spiritual support services, i.e., grief support, divorce recovery, counseling & financial advisors.
I, along with our team of volunteer servants, work every Wednesday from 9 a.m.- 1:00p.m. and we always welcome visitors to tour our site. We sincerely appreciate any interest in helping those less fortunate, as it is only through the help of caring people and other organizations that we can hope to meet the needs of the many families who find themselves in desperate situations. May the Lord bless all those caring people who contribute to this ministry as we all try to do His will and help one another.
Serving Christ With you,
Judith Watkins, Helping Hands Coordinator
What Is Helping Hands?
Helping Hands is Community’s main way of pouring out into our neighborhoods. We serve primarily as a food pantry, but serve additionally to connect Flat Rock residents to services they need along with a few special drives throughout the year including: Christmas presents, Christmas dinner, Thanksgiving turkeys, along with other awesome opportuniites.
Helping Hands Christmas 2020
We are Located at 23984 Gibraltar Rd, Flat Rock, MI 48134 and operate out of the far left set of doors in the main building.
Helping Hands is open every Wednesday from 9:00am to 1:00pm and is only available to Flat rock Residents because of the great need in the area.
We are currently in need of food donations. Please drop items off at the West Entrance (far left entrance of the church building) in front of the doors during operating hours. If you cannot drop off during operating hours please call the church office to schedule a drop off time to make sure your donation does not sit outside and spoil. Thank you for your kindness.
If you are interested in volunteering and helping with Helping Hands, please contact the church office at 734-782-0563. Thank you!